Posted on June 02 2016
Beef jerky is one of the most popular food choices for camping and other outdoor activities. The biggest concern with beef jerky is that it can be too dry or too hard by the time you're actually ready to eat it. There are two ways to combat this all-too-common problem with one of America's favorite snacks.
Using vacuum sealer bags is one of the best ways to preserve food. By removing the air from the packaging, you increase the longevity of the already-dried out beef jerky. Another easy way to create a better snack is to make the beef jerky yourself. By using fresh ingredients and no preservatives, you are sure to have a tastier finished product.
So, try out this sweet-and-spicy beef jerky recipe next time you're in need of a camping snack:
Sweet, Hot and Spicy Jerky
Start to finish: about 5 hours (10 minute prep)
- 1 pound beef sirloin tip (sliced into 1/8 inch strips)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 5 tablespoons smoke flavoring (liquid form)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Season the beef strips with your mix. Refrigerate the remaining seasoning mix.
- Heat the brown sugar, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, smoke flavoring and pineapple juice over medium heat. Continue until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.
- Remove from the stove and refrigerate the contents of your mix until it's chilled.
- Pour the chilled marinade over the seasoned beef strips. Try to evenly spread over the pieces.
- Seal the meat in vacuum bags and refrigerate for three hours.
- Using a dehydrator, dry your beef strips until your desired dryness, sprinkling more of the spice mix and red pepper as the beef is dehydrating.
When you are ready to pack for your camping trip, use zipper vacuum sealer bags to keep your beef jerky strips fresh and save space!