Posted on April 13 2016
Perfect for picky eaters or simply as a healthy treat, fruit and vegetable gummy snacks are a fun (and colorful) way to sneak extra nutrition into your kids' diet. These snacks can be made start to finish in three hours, and can be stored in FoodVacBags vacuum sealer bags for up to two years.
Fruit and Vegetable Juice Gummy Snacks
- 1 1/2 cups fruit and/or vegetable juice, fresh pressed or store-bought
- 4 tablespoons plain gelatin
- 2-4 tablespoons raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or other extract of choice, optional
- Up to 1 tablespoon health-building ingredient (vitamin C powder, Magnesium powder, probiotic powder, green powder, protein powder)
- In a small saucepan over no heat, pour juice.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the top and let sit for a few minutes, or until it starts to bloom (it will become wrinkly on the surface and all of the white powder from the gelatin will absorb into the liquid).
- Whisk the juice and gelatin mixture once all of the gelatin is absorbed.
- With the saucepan over medium heat, let liquid warm without reaching a boil. The liquid should transform from thick to thin and runny.
- Whisk in honey, extract and any extra ingredients (if using a powdered probiotic, wait until the juice has cooled to room temperature before adding to avoid killing any of the good bacteria).
- Pour mixture into candy molds or a bread loaf pan.
- Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours, or until set.
- Remove from molds. If using the bread loaf pan, cut gelatin into small squares.
- Store in vacuum sealer bag at room temperature or refrigerate.
- Red beets
- A touch of lemon juice
- And some mango juice
- Yellow bell pepper
- Yellow beets
- Yellow pear
- Yellow apple
- A bit of lemon juice (pineapple juice will not set due to the enzyme bromelain found in pineapples.)
- Green apple
- Purple cabbage
- A bit of red beet
- An apple