Posted on April 22 2016
On the days when you pay attention to your diet and make the effort to eat healthy (like a salad for lunch), you will often find yourself disappointed after you've chopped up all of your fresh veggies and tossed them in a cheap, store-bought salad dressing. It might be too watery or the taste might be off, but what can you do?
Fortunately, you don't have to endure disappointing salads! Instead of buying salad dressings that will ruin the meal you worked so hard on, make your own dressings at home with basic ingredients in almost no time. If you prepare large quantities, vacuum seal salad dressing using a chamber sealer. Smaller portions can be frozen in ice cube trays, placed in vacuum sealer bags, and vacuum sealed with a traditional vacuum sealer. You'll have fresh salad dressings for weeks! Here are three basic salad dressing recipes:
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest and salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons thyme (chopped)
- 1/2 jalapeno (minced)
- Mix together 2 teaspoons each of honey and Dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons of lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon each of lime zest and salt.
- Slowly stir in 1/4 cup each of olive and vegetable oils, respectively.
- Add the chopped thyme and jalapeno.
- 1 shallot (minced)
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- Fresh pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- Balsamic vinaigrette (optional)
- Steep minced shallot in the sherry vinegar. Add a touch of salt and pepper. Allow to steep for 30 minutes.
- Mix in the olive oil. Taste it as you do, adjusting the amount you add based on your taste.
- Separate half of what you just made into a large bowl.
- Add salad greens and toss until lightly coated.
- Add a touch of balsamic vinaigrette if you feel like it.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- Mix all ingredients except for parsley into a blender.
- Blend until creamy consistency is achieved.
- Stir in finely chopped parsley.